Sunday, July 5, 2009

"Book-ing" a show....


A couple of months back I saw that a local theater group was putting on a production of Thorton Wilder's "Our Town." Since I'm primarily responsible for selecting the books for our library's discussion group, I thought it would be fun to see the play, read it, and then discuss it. It turned out to be a good choice. On Thursday night, several from the group went to see the Hackmatack Playhouse's presentation. It was excellent. It's a very intimate theater as it is in an old barn. And, despite the rainy cold weather, it was really quite pleasant in there.

I read about half the play and it is much as I remembered it from high school. It was our senior class production and I was the lady in the balcony asking about drinking in Grover's Corners. Back then, the most important thing was being a part of the cast and having a good time. Seeing it as an adult gave me a better appreciation for it. There were parts that really touched me and made me think about our current times. It is such good literature and really timeless. Let's hope our discussion Wednesday night proves me right.

No comments: