Saturday, April 4, 2009

The end is even closer..........



This is a bizarre story that I've been telling all week.... On Monday I came into work and found a fax asking the former director to call the sewer district office. I thought maybe there had been a mix-up with payments or something. When I called and spoke with the person who sent the fax, she told me that she had been told by FairPoint (the phone company for this area now - no more Verizon) to call us. It took a few minutes to register, but this is what happened.

The sewer district has been having a number of problems with their phone bills - getting bills weekly, payments misapplied, etc. The office manager called FairPoint to try and straighten out the bills. After being on hold for a half hour, the manager was told to get in touch with their account representative. FairPoint then gave them the former library's director name and the library's number to call. Huh???!!! I know that libraries are the best sources for information, but I didn't know that we could also fix phone bills. Absolutely incredible!

When I put the story out on a librarians' listserv, I heard back from another library whose phone number had been listed in the most recent FairPoint directory as the for all of their town departments. And, oh yes, they neglected to list the library at all.

On Tuesday, we got a call from a FairPoint field technician looking for the hours for the North Gorham library. Another big, "huh????!!!!" As I've said before, you just can't make this stuff up. No wonder the Public Utility Commission has called the company on the carpet.

I just can't get my mind around all of this!

No comments: