Tuesday, January 13, 2009

'ockey, 'ockey, 'ockey

"The donnybrook is on!" So says the Versus announcer as the Bruins and the Canadiens go at it. Tim Thomas just really put it to one of the Canadiens. Mon dieu! A penalty worthy check!

I love sports, but hockey is probably the favorite. Hockey players are the consummate athletes. Many times I've made the point that hockey players have to have the stamina of basketball and soccer players who zoom up and down the court/field. They need the agility of gymnasts - after all, they keep themselves upright on two very small beams (and on a slippery surface none-the-less!). They have to have the brawn and endurance of football players - all that tackling into the boards. A hockey player has to have excellent hand/eye coordination like baseball players and golfers- did you see John Tavares' goal at the World Juniors?! Oh, and of course, you can't forget the need of excellent pugilistic skills.

The B's just scored for the second time on the Canadiens. This is always a difficult rivalry for me because when these two teams aren't going at it, I'm rooting from both of them. The first cable sports I watched were "Hockey Night in Canada" (which used to have the best sports theme in the universe) and Boston Bruin hockey. The Canadiens now have Jaroslav Halak, who used to play for the Lewiston Maineiacs. Then there's the great Boston Bruin tradition. So, I guess I can look at this game and be happy whichever way it turns out!

My home hockey team, the Lewiston Maineiacs (QMJHL) have themselves a new coach. Let's hope this rallies the team. It's fun hockey and great entertainment. I really enjoy the games. It's worth the drive to visit with family and friends (new and old) and see some really good hockey - well, maybe not the best hockey of late, but... Go Maineiacs!

Hopefully some day I'll be seeing a couple of my great nephews at the pro level. They're paying their dues right now and things are falling into place for them. I one proud great aunt. Oh, and did I mention that I have 12 reasons to be a proud great aunt..........

No comments: